Monday, April 6, 2015

European Studies Defined

What is European Studies?

I am asked this question repeatedly since I started my bachelor program back in 2007. At that time, I really couldn't answer. After graduating, many asked me what I had a degree in. When I answered European Studies, again most asked, and what is that?

My answer? I have no clue. I took European Studies at SDU when the program was still very young (only in it's second year), and it was very undefined. I took a mix of courses ranging from cultural identity, EU law, micro and macro economics to internet economics. I wrote my bachelor degree on EU environmental law.

The program was such a mess that the entire program was restructured the year I graduated. It was such a mess that it was difficult finding a masters program in Denmark I could take. The Masters program in Sønderborg did not exist. There was a program in Flensborg, but I just wasn't interested at the time. So I left the topic for 4 years.

So now I am taking European Studies again, and again the question comes up. However the topic has matured over the last few years. It has become more defined, yet it is still very broad.

Here is my definition of European Studies:

The study of modern europe with emphasise of the EU and it is role in the formation of a modern Europe.

History, although an important aspect in the overall scheme of things, is not key topic in the study. And by History I mean anything before the world wars. In fact, I have taken little or no history courses and probably never will.

Topics in European studies are somewhat numerous. It can be studied from a cultural, political, historical, geographical or economical perspectives.

The definition to European Studies is individual depending on the persective they choose to study it with.

European Studies defined by my masters program

Although I say that European Studies can be very broad, the Masters program I am enrolled in is very specific. The program has strong focus in border and regions (and border regions). The definition of these two things are a whole other post, and in many ways the focus of the program so far. 

I am unsure of how interested I am in it on the larger scale of things, however, having focus in the program is a good thing. I am finding the topic interesting and it is nice to focus on one or two areas instead of a dozen. It is also well catered to the department that is teaching it, and I am finding that the teaching is better applied than what I saw before.

What will I use it for?

Generally speaking, I am not sure what one could use this program for other than perhaps working in regional development with an EU project or if you are going to study further. I would not call this a useful study UNLESS you have very speficial goals in obtaining a specific job in the topic. That is just my personal opinion.

Specifically to me? Why will I use it for? Nothing. 
It has always been a personal goal of mine to receive a Masters degree. I don't need a job. I own my own business. A lot of the jobs available in the sector I just not an option without relocating. I have 4 children aged 5 and under. This is not an option for me, nor something I am interested in.

I am doing this out of personal interest. I do find the topic interesting. In all honestly I would love to study further. I would love to earn a PhD at some point. However I don't see this happening. Timing perhaps is bad. I don't think it is possible to earn a PhD spot, as I don't think I will have the grades to earn me it. Again, this plays down to the 4 children. Their needs and the needs of my family come first and my studies suffer from this.

But perhaps one day. Who knows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment